2 Day Harvest Haul by Bike
Hop on a bike to explore the autumn harvest… Okanagan valley style. Venture from Vernon in any direction and you’ll find farms, orchards and vineyards, rich in BC’s fresh flavors. Stunning views and laidback hospitality will charm you along your route.
Explore these charming locales by bicycle on a two-day adventure and immerse yourself in the true essence of farm-to-table dining.
Kickstart your journey in the heart of Vernon, where you can rent a bike or stroll the streets on foot. Before setting off, we highly recommend indulging in some local flavours to energize yourself for the adventure ahead. Be sure to pay a visit to Masiero Pizzeria Napoletana, a recently opened dining gem where delectable pizzas are generously adorned with the best in local ingredients.
Farms in the BX
When you’re ready for greener pastures, head up to the quaint and creative agricultural corner of The BX (as this area is known), home to several farms and acreages offering an array of lovingly grown produce, herbs and flowers. Check out the Vernon community bike map to find the best way to cycle to the BX area.
Stop by Wildwood Acres—part lavender farm, part bumble bee conservation site, part farmstand with holistic wellness products handcrafted on the property. Sample their lavender lemonade and shortbread and then follow the winding road through rolling acreages to Curlew Orchard. This family-run organic apple orchard features a cozy cottage complete with sunny patio and orchard views.
Okanagan Rail Trail & Gatzke Orchard
Venture down the valley towards Kalamalka Lake (“Kal Lake” to locals) and hop on the Okanagan Rail Trail – a dream playground for two-wheelers. Work up an appetite and make your way to Gatzke Orchards where this multi-generational farming family cultivates over 100 varieties of tree fruits and ground crops that go directly to the kitchen of their restaurant. Save time to explore the historical farming equipment of a past era, and grab some pickled produce for the road.
Round out your day with a wine-paired dinner at the enchanting Peak Cellars. As you enter through the unassuming entrance, you'll be greeted by a vast patio overlooking the vineyards. Enjoy meticulously curated wine pairings, each thoughtfully selected to complement the menu that mirrors seasonal produce from the on-site garden. Settle in and savour the experience as the sun dips below the vines and down to the horizon.
When You Go
- Visit the vacation deals page to help you plan your trip.
- Stay in town or out in the fields. Curlew Orchard operates the original home on their farm as a guest cottage, and they also offer on-site Pilates sessions.
- Bikes are available to rent around Vernon, including at Gatzke Orchards who offer e-bike rentals on the doorstep of the Okanagan Rail Trail.
- Participate in citizen science at Wildwood Acres by taking pictures of the bumble bees and uploading them to Wildlife Preservation Canada’s “Bumble Bee Watch” program.
- Don’t miss Masiero Pizzeria Napoletana in downtown Vernon, where savoury pies featuring local produce are made in their wood-fired oven.